Friday, August 20, 2010

The Wedding Cake

Jared's sister, Becca, recently got married, and I was fortunate enough to be able to make her wedding cake. I was so excited for the opportunity, as it is something I love to do, and don't get the chance to do very often.
I made it at Camille's (another sister of Jared's) house, because she had the best kitchen with lots of room for me to work. (Thanks Camille!) A day before the wedding I got a call from Camille, informing me that her two year old had just put 3 big finger gashes into the side of the cake, through the fondant, two on the middle layer, and one on the bottom. Fortunately that was easily fixed with frosting, and no one could tell. Looking back, I'm glad she did it, because every cake needs it's story.

I used a new fondant recipe that I got from my friend, Sarah. I hate the taste of regular fondant, but this stuf is great. It is marshmallow fondant, and it is yummy! The bottom cake was a chocolate cake with a layer of chocolate frosting in the middle. The chocolate frosting had crushed up grasshopper cookies in it. It was sooooo good. The middle cake was a white cake with a layer of raspberry glaze with fresh raspberries in it, also soooo good. The top layer was a red velet cake with a cream cheese frosting layer in the middle. I think it will be soooo good, but Becca is freezing that layer to be eaten on her 1st anniversary.
I had such a great time making this cake, and I can't wait for the opportunity to do it again!

7 comments:

Kerri said...

oh WOW that is BEAUTIFUL! SO professional! How do people learn how to do such cool things like that?

Maryle said...

My mother taught me. This is the first one I've done without her help.

Rach said...

That cake is BEAUTIFUL!! Sounds delicious too!

orangemily said...

It's beautiful and tasted good too!

Melanie said...

That is such a beautiful cake! What talent!

Kerri said...

Kerri and I may just need to renew our vows (or do them for the first time) as an excuse for you to make a cake for us!

Hope all is well with you guys. We miss and love you tons!

Steve

Sarah @ The Pumpkin Patch said...

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!! It looks amazing!! I'm so happy the Marshmallow Fondant worked out so well. Now move here quick so we can start making cakes together! :)